It’s baseball season! In my house, this is a season of constant Cubs talk and planning. My husband, the guy behind Cubs Analyst, is the biggest fan around here. I’m more of let’s-go-to-a-live-game-and-have-a team-to-root-for kinda fan. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Cubs and Chicago, however, watching a full-game on tv doesn’t usually keep my attention for long. Can any other wife out there relate?
Since the Cubbies have always been a part of our relationship naturally we incorporated our honeymoon around a game and a night’s stay in the fabulous new Hotel Zachary last summer. If you have not heard of the Hotel Zachary, you’re missing out! We were dating when we first noticed the hotel going in, during the construction phase, and we dreamed of how amazing it would be to spend a game night there as part of a honeymoon. Well, we made that dream come true!
Last Spring the Zachary opened up for reservations, I had the date marked on the calendar and my fingers ready go! I needed to book that hotel on a very specific date and a game night at that. I was able to successfully book a July reservation for the very last night of our honeymoon. We flew into Chicago from California on a Thursday and stayed at the Zachary that night.
Not only did the Zachary offer us a military/Veteran discount but they upgraded our room to a Wrigley Field view! The views were AMAZING! From our room, we could see the field lit up in full-view from the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Wrigleyville. The euphoria of watching game-goers hustle about after the game was awesome! I’m telling you, if you are a baseball fan this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Upon arriving, the valet will park your vehicle and you will enter into a small area with only of going up, either by stairs or elevator, that would take you to the second level. This is where the wow factor comes in. On the second level is a reception area, a gorgeous area adorned with beautiful floors, a long white table with a library of literature and a wall painted with the original sketch of Wrigley Field. A cozy and spacious bar settles not far away with a covered patio overlooking Wrigley Field and the marque, the views are just as spectacular (if not better) than the rooms! Even if not staying at the hotel, I would make it a point to have some drinks and appetizers at The Bar at Hotel Zachary, taking a seat on that patio during a game day or night!
The Zachary Hotel is an authentic Chicago hotel located directly across the street from Wrigley Field. As part of the Marriott group, you can use the Marriott Bonvoy app to book rooms and use loyalty points. They offer 173 rooms and 20 suites that are designed and inspired by Zachary Taylor Davis, the 1914 architect behind Wrigley Field. Within the decoration and design, you’ll see the history of baseball and Wrigleyville’s neighborhood, every room offers a touch of this throughout.
Hotel Amenities include:
- Check In: 4:00 p.m. | Check Out: 11:00 a.m.
- 65″ LG televisions
- Wireless iPhone charger & alarm clock
- Complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi
- In-room access to streaming content on your personal device
- 24-hour business center services
- 24-hour fitness center
- Complimentary bottled water
- Pet amenities (upon request)
- Valet parking
- In-room safe
- Oversized walk-in shower
- Rainfall showerhead
- Ivy Urban Apothecary bath amenities produced by LATHER — exclusively for Hotel Zachary
- Plush, microfiber bathrobes
- Feather and foam pillows on every bed
What You’ll Want to Know!
- Book a ballpark view room on floors 3-6 for the best views.
- To avoid the $75 parking fee, use Spothero in advance to reserve a parking spot for cheaper.
- Make reservations in advance for drinks and eats on the outdoor patio at The Bar at Hotel Zachary (weekly specials available).
- Rates start around $200/night and double or triple from there for game nights and ballpark view rooms – booking a room during the week will help save on hefty rates.
- For the best eats, check out Whisk for a great breakfast, brunch or lunch in Ron Swanson style! They make a mean burger.
- The hotel will hold your luggage for you if you need to check-out before a game or train departure, or if you just want to wander around Wrigleyville before leaving.
- For more details on the Zachary Hotel, check out my Yelp review here.
Interested in making your Wrigleyville weekend complete? For Cubs info – including latest articles, podcasts, schedule, players, and purchasing tickets, check out Cubs Analyst!