The Washington in Sandusky, Ohio: A Luxury Historic Vacation Stay
Sandusky is often associated with rollercoasters and lake activities, two of its most popular activities. But there is also an undiscovered world of history and charm in the Downtown Sandusky area that is slowly emerging. The historic downtown is experiencing a draw to its diverse cultures and attractions.
The Washington is a part of the downtown Sandusky’s history and charm. I stayed overnight at this newer boutique hotel/vacation rental this summer and was impressed with my luxury experience and its proximity to restaurants, shops, and attractions. As an annual visitor to Sandusky, I couldn’t be happier to see more upscale accommodations in the area.
Working remotely allows me to travel frequently, taking my work with me. I am always looking for boutique hotels and accommodations that offer a “home away from home” experience with a good view and comfortable amenities such as a workspace and a washer/dryer.
About The Washington 333
The Washington is a three-story boutique hotel with eight short-term rentals. It was built in 1890 and has been fully renovated. It reopened in 2022 as “The Washington,” preserving its previous historic charm while incorporating modern features and amenities in a $2.5 million investment.
It is a family-owned property run by brothers Brent and Joshua Zimmerman and their father, Greg. It was previously vacant before the Zimmermans purchased it. It was initially built and owned by the family of the late Dorn Winery and Barr Rubber Products Co. owners, and it was once the home of an Erie County court judge.
The three-story blue house is easy to spot with its spacious wraparound porch and three rear decks, with views of the lake. Each unit has a private entrance, bedroom(s), bathroom, kitchen, dining area and/or living room, and a washer and dryer. Units sleep between 2-8 people, have air conditioning and heat, and are pet-friendly.
Unit F, where I stayed, is a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen/dining room and bathroom. The large bedroom is the highlight of the unit. The stained glass picture window, antique fireplace, and mantel are all eye-catching features of the bedroom, and all these features can be viewed from the queen-size bed. The room has two comfortable velour chairs, a tall mirror, and nightstands. A wash/dryer unit is located in a bedroom closet.
The bathroom was spacious and featured a large walk-in shower. I had plenty of room to get ready in the morning without feeling cramped, and the shower was stocked with soap and shampoo. The kitchen was well-equipped with cooking pans, plates, cups, utensils, a coffee maker, a dishwasher, a fridge, a stove, a toaster, and a dining room table.
The location and nearby things to do
The Washington is in a prime location. It is just a short walk from Shoreline Park, Battery Park Marina, restaurants, and shops. Market and Water Street are also within walking distance. Saucy Brew Works and Wake Up and Waffle are a short walk away for brunch, coffee, or dinner.
The neighborhood is safe, inviting, and quiet. It is a great place to stay if you want to be close to the action but also want to relax and enjoy your surroundings.
Cedar Point and Kalahari Resorts are both within a 15-minute drive of this location. Lake Erie Cruises and Jet Express are nearby, and you can easily walk to them. These companies offer boat tours and ferry services to the Ohio islands, popular tourist destinations. The islands offer a variety of activities, including swimming, sunbathing, fishing, and hiking.
The Washington Details:
- Guests check in and out using a smart lock—staff is not on site.
- Pet Policy: Pet-friendly, allowing only ONE pet with a weight limit of 40 lbs. Guests will be charged a $50 pet fee.
- I highly recommend Saucy Brew Works and Coffeehouse; I went here twice (see photos above). It is owned by The Washington co-owner, Brent. Wake Up and Waffle is great for brunch!
- Units include free Wi-Fi and parking. Street parking is available; the house has a small lot if spaces are available.
- Check-in is at 4 p.m., and checkout is at 11 a.m.
- The Washington is child and family-friendly. You must be 18 to check-in.
- In the back of The Washington, an outdoor elevator is available for those needing assistance. Otherwise, stairs are required to access units.
- Reservations can be made online at: https://www.thewashington333.com/
Nearby things to do:
- A Guide to Sawmill Creek Resort: Activities, Amenities, and Nearby Attractions
- Put-in-Bay, Ohio in a Day!
- An Ohio island & Lake Erie getaway in the Midwest!
- Lakeside Chautauqua: A Place to Chill and Recharge
- Cedar Point’s Halloweekends Tips